Eid ul-Adha in Paris

Today is Eid ul-Adha (عيد الأضحى) or Eid-e Qurban in France. Eid ul-Adha is celebrated by Muslims worldwide as a commemoration of Prophet Ibrahim's willingness to sacrifice his son Ismael for Allah (God). Others celebrate Eid ul-Adha as it marks the end of the Pilgrimage or Hajj for the millions of Muslims who make the trip to Makkah each year.


I went to the Paris Mosque for Eid prayers with Marwan (poor Yannicque was sick). It was drizzling and the mosque was packed with people. I had to pray outside on the terrace, braving the wet floor and cold winds. As I was praying with all the sisters, tears flowed down my cheek, competing with my already wet face. I felt a deep humbleness as I prostrated on the floor. How truly blessed we all are; to be given the opportunity to experience life. As I looked around me, I saw faces of many cultures, but all speak the same language to God.

Alhamdulillah (Praises to Allah) for all the blessings and obstacles that we go through in life. I keep reminding myself to always be thankful. And one of the things I'm thankful for was being able to celebrate Eid across 3 continents. Each celebration may be different but the theme remains the same. We are one big ummah (family) who should learn to love and live peacefully with one another.

Eid Mubarak. I seek forgiveness for all my shortcomings. All perfection belongs to Allah (God). All imperfections are mine solely.

Comments

Mel said…
Hi Cik Idah! Eid Mubarak to you! Looks like you're having a great time! i always enjoy reading up on ur travel experiences...always have been intrigued by different cultures and lifestyles abroad! hopefully one day I'd be able to travel as much as well! :) Take care!
Unknown said…
hi there....

I will spend my holiday in Paris, when Ied al Adha... I was wondering to salat (prayer) there in the Grand Mosque. Do you still remember what time they usually start the pray? thank you very much for helping me :)... my email is annisa.allaina@yahoo.com.

Thank you thank you and thank you!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hidayah Amin said…
Hi Annisa,
The first prayer time is at 7 am at the Grand Mosque in Paris. However pls visit this website to find out more:
http://www.mosquee-de-paris.org/

Have fun in Paris!

Popular Posts