Daria's Ranting - Sauron in Red Guard suit

*I am posting this seventeenth ranting as my alter-ego the misanthropic Daria Morgendorffer

When I was studying in Paris many moons ago, I visited B who was reading law at Oxford. I had my first Harry Potter dining, attended law lectures and basically enjoyed my stay in magical Oxford. While I was there, I went on a day trip to Cambridge, fell in love with Cambridge and studied there many years later.

I stayed in B’s room, a college residence in one of the old, quaint English houses. There was a fireplace in the room to keep us warm. B told me that the bedroom was once J.R.R. Tolkien’s room (it was halved when the house became a students’ residence). B told me to soak in the intellectual aura; who knows, I might write many epic books like Tolkien did. I never had the intention to be a writer then but I imagined how it must be like for Tolkien to sit beside the fireplace, dream and write.

Alas, during this short period when I started my journey of writing, I came across many Orcs and Urukhai whose behaviours are as ugly as their appearances. Ugggh… even Gollum seemed milder.

a. They criticised your work without even reading them.
b. They insulted your craft yet they have no publications.
c. They instigated others not to collaborate with you; they whispered vile and baseless accusations that put you in unnecessary trouble and stress.
d. They think so highly of themselves and their ‘work’ which are of inferior quality.
e. They use their celebrity ‘Saruman Army’ association to win fans and cultish friends over.
f. They refused to share knowledge and information with you, even though you would acknowledge them.
g. They conveniently forgot that you had shared knowledge and pertinent information with them because you wanted to help them.
h. They crashed your events just to meet important personalities who attended; but they ignored you.
i. They took your payment but told you to remove their names in your publications (conflict of interest, they say). Yet they happily and openly participated in others’ events and publications.
j. They promised to fund your work but pulled out at the very last minute giving some lame-ass excuses; leaving you stranded with no alternatives. It's ok not to fund but don't promise and double confirm plus chop.
k. Unlike yours truly who ‘kejarkan tujuan yang lebih berharga dari harta’ (chase for the purpose that is valuable than wealth), they want the recognition that comes with their fluff work.

As Sauron in the Red Guard suit, I have this to say to you (Yes, you. You know who you are):

Good will always defeat Evil. No matter how long it takes. 
I am watching you. And I have patience and perseverance.

Photo credit: Faisal Mohammad who owns the original replica of Sauron's mask. So heavy!

Comments

Popular Posts