Maktoob : Destined

I'm in a sentimental mood especially after hearing this 'new' song by Iskandar Ismail. And since I'm an imaginative person, I imagine the next best thing that could happen at my forthcoming book launch... 

MAN has a meeting at Duo Residences in Bugis. But that meeting is cancelled last minute. MAN decides to go to Kampong Gelam to have murtabak and teh tarik. As he finishes zuhur prayers at the Sultan Mosque, he meets Ibrahim from Wardah Books who mentions that he’s going to my book launch. MAN decides to attend--he’s free anyway, and happens to be in Singapore on book launch day. Besides, the Malay Heritage Centre is a stone's throw away.

As MAN is ushered in, he sees me in my black french lace kebaya and white kain songket with golden threads, talking to some guests.

MAN sits quietly at the auditorium, observing me, without me realising. It has been many years since we met and talked.

At the end of the cosy launch, MAN joins the book signing queue with a copy of my book. When it's his turn, he whispers, "Hidayah..."

I look up and our eyes meet. [*queue in 'Kini ku kembali' song]

I smile. 

MAN says, “Assalamualaikum.” (peace be upon you)

Maktoob.

Comments

Popular Posts