My K-Drama List (2023) - Part 1

Watched / Watching in 2023 

I started the year by watching Signal, a crime thriller based on real crimes that happened in South Korea. Amazing storyline and believable acting by cast who looked like normal people with natural, not cosmetically-enhanced faces. Read review here.

1. Signal 시그널
2. SKY Castle SKY 캐슬 -- about four families (who lived in posh SKY Castle neighbourhood) who are willing to do anything at any cost to make sure that their children go to a top university. Relatable and really good.
3. Diary of a Prosecutor 검사내전 -- coz of Lee Sun Kyun 이선균 (the hot Mr Park in 'Parasite' and one of my three Korean hotties) and I like legal dramas. 
4. Crash Course in Romance 일타 스캔들 -- coz of Jung Hyung Ho (who played Dr Kim Jun Wan in 'Hospital Playlist' and Correctional Officer Lee Joon Ho in 'Prison Playbook'). I still don't like love stories in K-dramas. 
5. Reply 1988 응답하라 1988 -- coz the 1980s are the best years for most things. Such a heartwarming series; all things 1980s are reflected in the drama. I felt like I belonged to one of the families living in Ssangmun-dong. The gotong-royong spirit, the warmth, the crushes, the teenage angst, family arguments; so relatable.
My oppa crush Sun Woo is ultimate boyfriend/husband material. Good son, sweet, responsible, pursued medicine (as his mother wanted him to, like my mother) at Yonsei. He was also not afraid to date an older neighbour who later became his wife. I was rooting for the stoic Jung Hwan to date Deok Sun, the squad's only childhood female friend. True to the officer and a gentleman vibes (he became a fighter pilot), Jung Hwan revealed his feelings to goofy Deok Sun when he 'gave' her the pilot 'fiance' ring. Nevertheless, he 'gave way' to the shy Go Champion Taek (Park Bo Gum) who also liked Deok Sun. Read review here.

6. The Glory 더 글로리 (part 2) -- coz Kim Eun Sook wrote this masterpiece. Ahh, sweet revenge. I'm satisfied with the ending. But I wish that Dong-Eun would get her happy ending with Do-Yeong, her main bully's now ex-husband, coz their chemistry was intense and sizzling. Moral of the story, hell has no fury like a woman scorned/bullied.
7. Taxi Driver 일타 스캔들 (season 1) -- coz the hot detective (Lee Je Hoon) from Signal is acting in this series. Interesting concept of using a taxi (like a psychiatrist's couch) as a means to understand why the person wanted to seek revenge, and using computer animation to ask the person to make his choice. Action-packed; I think Lee Je Hoon has now joined my ranking of hot Korean actors -- Gong Yoo, Lee Sun Kyun, Yeo Yoon Sook (in 'Mr Sunshine' only). Plus Lee Je Hoon studied Biotechnology at Korea University... 대박! Hot!
8. Divorce Attorney Shin 신성한, 이혼 -- coz I didn't get into law school. Initially I was sceptical about this drama until Attorney Shin said this to the rotten lawyer who represented his ex brother-in-law, "What do you think motivated me (to be a lawyer)? Rage. The rage that fills every inch of me from head to toe." Seems like I too am similar to Attorney Shin.
9. Stranger 비밀의 숲 (season 1) -- Koreans drama scripts don't shy away from stories revolving around corruption in the public service (police, prosecution, government), something which happen in real life but are often not featured on screen.
10. Stranger 비밀의 숲 (season 2) -- Prosecutor Hwang is also the attorney in 'Divorce Attorney Shin'. His character (and looks) is different from his role in 'Stranger'. Most Korean actors are versatile; even those in minor supporting roles always acted their best. Such great team work!
What's with all these legal dramas that attract me? 

*Favourites: Signal & Reply 1988 (maybe The Glory...)

- - - - - - - - 

Oh my SKY!
So, SKY refers to the three Ivy Leagues of South Korea -- Seoul National University (SNU), Korea University and Yonsei University. In fact, so many K-dramas hailed SNU as THE university to go to. Hmm, perhaps I should I apply to SNU...







Comments

Popular Posts