Haji Yusoff Memorial Museum

A museum for great-granddad!

I mooted the idea of setting up a museum when we were redeveloping the shophouse at North Bridge Road. I suggested that I would curate a memorial museum for Haji Yusoff just like how the Chinese in Singapore had set up a memorial museum or an exhibit of sorts for philanthropists like Tan Kah Kee. Once I have gotten the green light from the estate trustees, I started with retrieving our artefacts from Gedung Kuning and doing restoration and reparation works. Like with most people who do things with good intentions, criticisms are often hurled at them. I am no exception. I was called a "shameless someone who dragged her family across the street because disgruntled over a wooden table." Well, there is nothing shameless with wanting to retrieve your artefacts which got broken and mishandled under the care of the borrowers. Nothing is more honourable than to right a wrong, even if you have to seek justice against a so-called 'family member'. Gossipers who don't know details should just mind their own business and work on their own meaningful projects, than to worry about other's projects, n'est pas?

Anyway, here's a list of articles that appeared in the local papers. I wrote 'A Museum for my Kampong Glam heritage story' for The Sunday Times. The copyright of the rest of the articles below belong to the individual papers respectively. 


Comments

Popular Posts