Ayat-ayat Cinta (Verses of Love)

I recently watched Ayat-ayat Cinta (Verses of Love), the Indonesian hit movie based on the best-selling novel by Habiburrahman El Shirazy - http://www.ayatayatcintathemovie.com/

The movie enlightens viewers on the Islamic perspective on love, polygamy, relationship between fellow Muslims and non-Muslims, status of women in Islam, brotherhood and family. It also attempts to clear certain misconceptions about Islam. A scene that tugged my heartstrings is when a 'seemingly insane' prisoner asked the distraught Al-Azhar graduate student Fahri who was wrongly accused of rape, if he only prayed to God when he was in trouble. The man then reminded Fahri of the story of Prophet Yusuf who was in a similar predicament like Fahri. He concluded, "Patience and Sincerity. That is Islam."

As I reflect on the man's statement in this wee hours of the morning, I cannot help but agree with him. The essence of Ayat-ayat Cinta is about the sincerity of the characters' actions and their patience in facing surmounting obstacles. I ask myself... Am I as sincere as Aisha who loved her husband Fahri so much that she put aside her own selfish needs? Am I able to recognise true love from only wanting to possess a desired need?

When Fahri told Aisha that she was his soulmate and that he loved no other, Aisha replied, "Jodoh rahsia Tuhan" (Soulmates are God's secrets). Tears rolled down my cheeks when I thought of my Eagle and Wolf Story. I described the Eagle and the Wolf as soulmates but who am I to determine that? I liken my Eagle to Aisha who is sincere in loving her Wolf. Somehow I believe that the Wolf too is as sincere as the Eagle. The continuation of the story is yet to be written... but I pray that their patience and sincerity will make their journey worth the while and that they are indeed soulmates. Ultimately, God knows what we know not.

Comments

Mel said…
My exact sentiments about that particular scene... :) beautiful indeed. Insha'Allah, the Wolf and Eagle story will continue to a happier note... after all, Islam teaches us to be patient and indeed, jodoh adalah rahasia Tuhan. :)

Popular Posts