Berkalungkan bintang berkelipan (Garlanded by shining stars)

I know I don't look like one but I am a closeted Minah Rock. I like songs of yesteryear Malay rockers such as Awie, Rahim Maarof, Wings, etc. I find the lyrics of their songs poetic in a rockish sort of way.

I recently discovered this Malay rockish, inspirational song 'Gemuruh' (Thundering) by Faizal Tahir launched in 2007. Ironically, the song brought back memories of USA days when I actually followed through my cousin's harebrained idea. Ok, so I pursued it (with blessings from my mother) but the idea didn't materialise (well, I guess it was indeed a very long shot). When I returned to Singapore (with wonderful memories of the USA, interning at the United Nations as well as that Fulbright Scholar status and a masters degree), the one 'failure' was that harebrained idea. I then blocked whatever memories related to that idea from my mind. Refusing to listen to my cousin's pleadings to persevere, I told her off, "What is the whole bloody point?" I even used the Malay proverb "Hidung tak mancung, pipi tersorong-sorong" to drive the message across. I had my dignity and I felt it was not right to pursue something that would not work out. 

Fast forward 2015, the past revisited me. Surprise. Surprise. I felt that I was given a second chance at the harebrained idea. And after much soul-searching and reflections, I acted upon it. Why? Like the deep, meaningful lyrics of 'Gemuruh', I discovered that I still have the passion in wanting to pursue my dreams. I want to reach for 'angkasa' (space), 'berkalungkan bintang berkelipan' (garlanded by shining stars) and 'menyerlah jauh dari yang biasa' (to shine far from the ordinary). And even if I could not shine, I would like to grow together and support that special star who could. The problem is, perhaps I am the only one who is feeling these thunderous, pulsating emotions as that special star has already shone, and is probably oblivious to this small, faraway star.

ps. How many of us are given a second chance (after a nearly 8 years hiatus) at pursuing something worthwhile? Don't you think we should take that second chance?




Comments

Popular Posts