Ali nak balik (Ali is going home)

My mother's eldest brother, Mohamed Ali (Wak Ali), passed away this morning of pneumonia. Wak Ali, born in 1931 in Gedung Kuning, was neither someone famous nor a well-known community activist. He was quiet, shy and kind. He was a good son, brother and uncle. He had no wife or children. Wak Ali was a simple man who harboured no bad thoughts/intentions towards anyone. Unfortunately, because of his naivety and timidity, some people had bullied him in Gedung Kuning, ordering him around as if he was their servant. 

*Photo: Wak Ali second from left. Gedung Kuning, circa late 1930s.


Although Wak Ali had suffered from cancer, kidney failure, COVID-19 and other illnesses, his spirit was strong and he braved life with much positivism and kindness. Both he and his brother (Wak Lah) have given me much moral support, more than my own father. They told me that they didn't have much money to support my studies and book projects but they made endless 'doa' (prayers) for my wellbeing and success. That to me, meant more than anything. 

How ironic, yesterday was my mum's 14th death anniversary. Today, her brother has passed on to join her. Wak Lah told me that last night, he dreamed that Wak Ali who was dressed in white had 'salam' him (shook his hand). Wak Ali told Wak Lah, "Ali nak balik" (I'm going home). As I type this message, my brother told me that Wak Lah is crying so hard at the demise of his best friend and brother. I too am crying; Could Wak Ali be The Old Man whom I saw in Makkah? 


Some of you might have met him, many have not. However, I hope you can send a little prayer his way. 

Until we meet again Wak Ali... 



*Photo: Wak Ali seated second from left. National Museum of Singapore, 2014.  

Comments

Popular Posts