The Sea Pudding

I was introduced to literature (as a subject) when I was in Secondary One. One day, a Literature teacher (Mr Benedict Lee?) who taught Secondary Four came to our class. He wanted to conduct an experiment. Mr Lee gave us random photos of objects and asked us to write a short poem within 20 minutes. He said that he had given the same photos to his class and wanted to see if we could write better than his 16 year olds. Mr Lee chose my class as it supposedly had the brightest pupils (judging from PSLE scores). Anyway, I got a picture of a floating iceberg. 

Hmm... I thought that the iceberg looked like the pudding my mother made. So I decided to name my poem 'The Sea Pudding'. I couldn't recalled what I had written. I think it was about drifting endless with no end in sight; just existing, beautiful, untouched. I remember, Mr Lee scanned all the poems and said that he liked my title and the poem looked interesting. I wished I had asked for my poem back. But I was 12 and wasn't liberated* enough to ask for my writings back. I wonder, what would the content of 'The Sea Pudding' be if I were to write it now?

The Sea Pudding

. . .


*as you can guess, I've just finished watching 'My Liberation Notes'. Mr Gu x Mi-jeong -- "I worship you"

Comments

Popular Posts