My K-Drama List (2024) - Part 2

“Worship (추앙해) me and make me feel whole”*
추앙해 = a combination of adore and respect

It's February already! So many things to do, so little time. Some of these things are mundane. I wish I can just take off from my mundane schedule (OK, I exaggerate, my book projects are quite exciting). BUT I need to be liberated from everyday caregiving chores for my father. While my brother can take off on holidays and do his own things, I am stuck in this rut. Just like the siblings (and Mr Gu, a stranger who worked for their father in rural countryside village) in my fourth K-drama this year.

4. My Liberation Notes 나의 해방일지 -- I was contemplating about this K-drama since last year. Should I watch or not? I watched the first episode and then read the reviews. This drama won the 2023 BaekSang Arts Awards for Best Screenplay. And that my friend won me over. Screenplay is one of the most important factors for a good drama.  As I like Kim Ji-Won from Descendants of the Sun, I thought why not, right? The icing on the cinnamon bun is when Gong Yoo praised the drama by quoting an iconic line from the drama, “I worship you.”* Ahhh, oppa! The drama presents a slice of life (many people will be able to identify with the themes in this drama) but with a dose of realism and no fairytale ending. Hais, we too need to be liberated from _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks).
Read review 1 and review 2.
Afternote: Son Suk-ku who acted as reticent Mr Gu is a hottie. He was the ex-boyfriend of ranger Yi Gang who still pined for him in Jirisan. Suk-ku acted as one of the army officers in D.P. Perhaps his looks is not your typical K-Pop namja but he is charming and that acting school he attended in Canada certainly paid off!

5. A Killer Paradox 살인자ㅇ난감 -- Coz of Son Suk-ku (he is Detective Jang Nan-Gam). The storyline is interesting and the dilemma of the killer is almost sympathetic. The alluding to 'Batman and Robin' fight against injustice is quite stark in this series; the mastermind mentioned that he legally changed his name to Roh Bin. Unlike the superheroes of the Hollywood world, superheroes in K-dramas are grounded to earth and believable. That is why Korean dramas are taking the world by storm. 

6. Designated Survivor: 60 Days 60일, 지정생존자 -- Coz of Son Suk-ku. Oh my God, what's wrong with me? What's with the appeal of Suk-ku, a real-life reincarnation of Mr. Gu? Distraction aside, I like dramas with a political theme coz you know I once harboured ambition to be a politician (as I wanted to make a difference to society). I even studied political science in NUS (not SNU in South Korea, well, not yet...) and at the prestigious Sciences-Po Paris. I am also intrigued with the North-South Korea storylines and issues (which was also highlighted in D.P and Crash Landing On You). If I were to be born as a man, I think I would probably join the military.

Comments

Popular Posts