A smile from a homeless man

I was driving home tonight from my research class, thinking of the 15-page analysis paper due tomorrow... argh... While waiting for the light near Fahy Bridge to turn green, I looked out of the window and saw a homeless old man dressed in worn out clothes. He was kicking the dried Autumn leaves on the pavement. He saw me looking at him. I smiled. His tired face broke into a warm smile. Then he walked away in the cold night dragging his torn shoes. As I drove away, tears rolled down my cheek...


How cold it must be for him! How warm it was for me in my car.
How cruel the wind must be, blowing at him through his thin jacket! How snug I feel in my black leather jacket bought from St. Germain-des-pres in Paris.
How sore and cold his feet must be! How warm my feet will be in my heated bedroom.
Where will his next meal come from? When will I finish all those assignments?

As much as I was thinking of pampering myself with a US$329 L.L.Bean expedition haversack, I ask this pertinent question. Why the extravagance? Had I not been blessed enough?

Thank you kind Sir for the gentle reminder. Yes, we sometimes forget how fortunate we are.

Comments

Popular Posts