My K-Drama List (2023) - Part 3

 We are halfway through 2023 and I've watched quite a bit of K-dramas. 헐!

<--- This pic is Chief Judge Kang Yo-Han from The Devil Judge

19. D.P.  (Deserter Pursuit) seasons 1 and 2
I've always like men in uniform. Read DOTS post. When I was working as a producer, I spent some time with the army as I was producing a series of videos about the various aspects of army life. So naturally, D.P. was on my watch list. Anyway, Jung Hae-In (the cute baseball player in Goblin), Kim Sung-Kyun (Jung Hwan's father in Reply 1988) and Koo Gyo-Hwan (the happiness idealist in Extraordinary Attorney Woo) have enviable chemistry. I noticed several family faces from Taxi Driver, Extraordinary Attorney Woo, Hotel Del Luna and Reply 1988 in D.P. Good casting and acting, strong storylines, and and overall good series. The subject of abuse, harassment and bullying in the military is highlighted without fear. Bravo South Korea. This is why I want to learn filmmaking from you. *Read: How accurate is Netflix's D.P. from real life?

20. The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문  season 1 -- coz it's about hunting evil spirits and seeking justice in the process. The team reminded me of 'Umbrella Academy'. 
21. Peninsula 반도 -- coz this film is post 'Train to Busan' zombie outbreak. The dystopian atmosphere reminded me of 'Mad Max beyond the Thunderdome.' 
22. Juvenile Justice 소년심판 -- coz I have always liked legal dramas and the talented Kim Hye-Soo (Signal) acted as the elite judge in the juvenile court.
23. Goedam 도시괴담 -- literally urban legend. This short anthology of bite-size horrors featuring some Korean urban legends. Made me read up more about the storylines coz as a non-Korean, I would not be able to fully appreciate the stories.

24. The Devil Judge 악마판사 -- I wasn't excited to watch this K-drama but it grew on me. Partly because I'm big on social justice and fairness. Plus Chief Judge Kang Yo Han (played by Ji Sung) is also hot (and has washboard abs)! What sharp dressing and hair-gel can do to a man.
Although the story is based on a dystopian Korea where trial outcomes are judged from public votes, a nod to true democracy, I can identify with the storylines that mirror on the real world issues--news and media manipulation, corruption, power play, human clinical trials, virus and pandemic, man's and religious hypocrisies and more. Appearances can also be deceiving. Someone portrayed as evil may actually be the saviour the world needs. While those who are deemed purier than white are the devil in disguise.
This series is one roller coaster ride with unexpected twists that left me gasping, yelling out in surprise, and crying. Good acting. Storylines riveting and believable. Impressive set design. The scheming female lead (who acted as Kudo Hina in 'Mr Sunshine') Seoh-na looks like my cousin with her big eyes, nose and mannerism. And why is it that I haven't even heard of Ji Sung? What's with the two-names men--Gong Yoo, Ji Sung? Hot damn! Judge Kang Yo Han is what I would call a Man. Decisive, cool, charismatic, cerebral, principled, responsible, caring and loyal to family and has a strong sense of justice. Although he is misunderstood and his methods appear to be 'devilish', he used his money and influence to help people attain the justice they were denied by the system. I am crushing so deep with Yo Han. I had a similar coat like his black one with signature folded cuff sleeves in episode 4. Good taste, Yo Han!
*Read Review 1 & Review 2

*Favourites: The Devil Judge bien sur! Next are Juvenile Justice and D.P. 



Comments

Popular Posts