My K-Drama List (2023) - Part 4

I don't think I can get over Chief Judge Kang Yo-han from The Devil Judge. I don't want to...
While I am busy with preparing for our museum opening and my ninth non-fiction book launch, I squeezed some time to watch Korean dramas (to improve my Korean of course). 

25. Mask Girl 마스크걸 -- coz I was curious. The storyline is interesting. Lots of sub-layers to peel. Societal standard (discrimination) of beauty formed the root of the drama. Topics of plastic surgery, self-esteem, body dysmorphia, misogyny, abuse, family love and acceptance, loneliness and wanting to be loved, the dark life of web cam influencers and their followers, and redemption, are all weaved throughout seven episodes. Yes, there were murders, nightlife culture and women prison culture. 

26. The Uncanny Counter 2 경이로운 소문 2: 카운터 펀치-- coz I figured why not I just watch a few episodes and decide if it would be worth watching. Kang Ki-Young (Extraordinary Attorney Woo), Kim Hieora (The Glory) and Jin Sun-Kyu (Through the Darkness, Revenant) were possessed by evil spirits. To me, a heartwarming moment was when Ha-na reconnected with her high school love, Do-hwi while she was training the new counter. Just when I was hoping that their reunion/relationship would lead to something, she wiped his memories of their feelings so as not to put his life in danger. I guess, true love is when you place your loved one's well-being above your selfish needs. Ha-na and Do-hwi is the modern version of Mr Sunshine's Eugene Choi, Gu Dong-mae, and Kim Hui-seong's sacrifices for Go Ae-shin. Contrary to Ha-na--So-mun shippers who wanted the characters to be together, the scriptwriter wrote a scene of Ha-na meeting Do-hwi (who now had no idea of their past relationship) again. Ha-na told Do-hwi who asked her to attend his piano academy's recital, "I hope to see you again." Aigoo... 

27. Shadow Dectective 형사록 -- This series is on Disney+ channel. As I like police and crime dramas, I thought I will give this a go. Incentive: Jin Goo, my favourite soldier (Master Sergeant Seo Dae Young) in Descendants of the Sun is in the cast.

28. Hyena 하이에나 -- In the midst of a hectic schedule, what with museum opening and two book launches, I found time to watch my favourite actors Kim Hye-Soo (Signal) and Ju Ji-Hoon (Kingdom & Jirisan) as two warring lawyers in the cut-throat legal world. Like Hye-Soo, I too dreamt of owning my own building. But I guess, I am not diabolical/immoral to do anything unethical/illegal to achieve that dream. Ji-Hoon was manipulated in the first episode by Hye-Soo who pretended to fall in love with him. The winning line (so far)--Ji-Hoon: I was hoping that fate will work its magic. So did fate work its magic on these two? Or will stunning and dedicated lawyer Boo Hyeon-a stand a chance with Ji-Hoon? There are however some believable twists in the storyline and character developments. Kim Hye-Soo is such a talented actress, even in tacky clothes and 'orbit' hairstyle.

29. Mystic Pop-up Bar 쌍갑포차 -- Seems quirky, reminds me of Hotel Del Luna. I like how the drama use everyday things in Korea as a base for their stories like the supermarket and pojangmacha (포장마차), a type of tent bar that serves cheap and good street food. The supernatural beings are also portrayed in modern clothes and in tune with modern life. I also like how they include historical bits (though fiction) into the drama. The universal themes of love, sacrifice, family bonds, redemption, are interweaved in this drama. I laughed when they played Sky Castle theme song as the bar manager (who acted as one of the doctors in Sky Castle) was explaining a related matter. Intentionally subtle, not!

Favourite: still undecided...



Comments

Popular Posts