Hijab

We launched 'Hijab: Everyday Stories of Muslim Women from Singapore and Beyond' book at the Singapore Writers Festival 2023!
I never thought that this book would see the light of day due to the sensitive topic in Singapore. There were a lot of challenges -- one writer who had initially promised to submit a story didn't, someone wanted to submit a story but not a photo (which was a requisite), religious body didn't want to write a short article about hijab and Islam (I ended up doing it), no funding (due to the religious nature of the topic) and other challenges. However, I always believe that when one has good intentions, things will turn out well in the end. Although I enjoyed writing all my books, I felt 'peaceful' and happy writing the hijab book. I felt a close bond with the 23 writers and Dian who did the survey on 'Women's Perspectives on the Hijab'. Although I did not half of the writers, I felt their experiences and feelings. I'm glad that I had persevered to publish this important book. 




ps. The hijab book has been gifted to all madrasahs and mosques, Malay-Muslim organisations, Malay-Muslim members of parliament as well as some former parliamentarians in Singapore.


Comments

Popular Posts