My K-Drama List (2023) - Part 6


I'm taking a break from my Korean class for a term. Is my interest waning? Maybe. I didn't even finish watching Doctor John and I like Ji Sung. It's because I'm so behind in my Korean lessons that I need a term to catch up on my own. Hais, abang JC, bagi lah perangsang... 

Anyway, these past few months have been hectic as I had three book launches and about 1001 things to do, plus taking care of my 90 year-old father who has dementia. But I did start watching... 

33. Hometown 홈타운 -- Coz I like murder mystery investigation dramas. Oh my, it has evolved into a cult motivated murder series. 대박! The drama was slow-moving at first. I almost wanted to give up but the curious me wanted to know the how and why in these brutal and mindless murders. The actor playing Guru is superb. The main cast acted brilliantly. Goes to show that good acting transcends looks. And the twists in the story kept me watching. But the local accent was a little off-putting. I guess, I am used to the Seoul accent... such a spoilt brat.

34. Sweet Home 2 스위트홈 시즌 2 -- This was my first K-drama series which I watched during Covid-19 lockdown. And boy, did I bawl! Just like how I sobbed when watching Train to Busan for the first time. The backstories pulled my heartstrings. Anyway, we lost some characters from Season 1. Saaadddd... but the ending is a perfect lead to Season 3 next year. Can't wait.

35. Single's Inferno 3 솔로지옥 3 -- I can't believe I am watching this. I feel too old for this sort of things. I mean when I was living in the USA, I watched 'Rock of Love' (coz of Bret Michaels of Poison) and 'I Love New York (coz I thought it was about New York (duh!)). Somehow I feel like Single's Inferno is 'respectful' and 'honest' unlike the 'trashy' dating 'reality' (rigged) shows. The five hosts in Single's Inferno commenting in between the scenes are quite refreshing as they are candid with their thoughts. I do share some of their views and I even gasped at the same time they did. As jaded as I am with love, I can't help but feel the same like host Kyu-Hyun when he cried out, "Min-Kyu ahh" at the sight of him being played out by his female date.

I tried multi-tasking, doing work and watching some of these K-dramas in English. BUT somehow the dramas seem better in Korean. Naturally. Revision for my Korean lesssons.


Comments

Popular Posts