2021 NUS Singapore History Prize

I am back! 

So much has happened since the last blog post on 30 July 2019. COVID happened and the rest is history. Plus the fact that I didn't see the need to duplicate updates already on my Facebook and IG

Well... all roads lead to Kampong Gelam...

My book 'Leluhur: Singapore's Kampong Gelam' is the winner of the 2021 NUS Singapore History Prize!

As per Mr Kishore Mabhubani, this book “is a gift” to the community, to Singapore. Thank you to the team who worked really hard on the publication. Thank you to family members, friends and kind people who believe in this book. This is your win too! 

Read FASS news here

Read ST article here



- - - - - - - - - - 

Here was what I had written on 14 July 2021 when I found out about the nomination: 

Alhamdulillah. Thank God the Almighty.

When I told my family about the Singapore History Prize shortlist, they said, “You’ve already won, Cik Idah”. 

You see, winning is not about getting the trophy and recognition. Winning is about striving to overcome all challenges and still continue to run the race.

I’ve already won because…

1. All the publishers are established ones with permanent staff (doing various jobs) on their payroll. Helang Books has a very small team who work on a freelance, project basis. Most times, I am my own delivery man as well as PR manager.

2. All other authors could concentrate on writing while their publishers handled all and sundry. I, on the other hand, had to write AND do all and sundry (on top of being the main caregiver of my 88 year-old sickly and wheelchair bound father, with no helper).

3. Most of the authors in the shortlist have extensive academic writing credentials. I don’t have that many, in fact this is the first time that I had taken part in such a prestigious competition organized by NUS.

4. My body of work is consistently of a high standard, contrary to what critics had claimed, “Her writings aren’t good, that’s why no publisher wants to publish her books”.

5. I’ve proven my worth to the two established publishers (in the shortlist) who had looked down and rejected my books.

6. This is a win for women. The publisher (me) of Helang Books is a woman and the core team comprises of dedicated and passionate women. If I’m not mistaken, the other publishers (big boss) in the shortlist are men.

7. I’ve proven that sometimes qualification is not a pre-requisite for success. I had no experience in the publishing industry but that doesn’t stop me from achieving what I’ve achieved so far.

8. I’ve shown that David needs not be intimidated by Goliath. What you need is a sincere intention, to work hard, learn from mistakes, be ethical, and remain humble and hungry to learn. Most importantly, we shouldn’t make profit the over-arching motivation. 

Yes, I’ve already won but the marathon is far from over. 

Thank you to family members, friends and kind well-wishers for your never-ending support and encouragement. This win is yours too.

- - - - - - - - - - 

Comments

Popular Posts