Everything is temporary, even machines

My iMac died on me last night. I was not surprised when the screen went blank out of the blue leaving me with matrix-like lines on screen. The iMac has never broken down and has served me well for nearly 8 years. As I waited for the diagnostic in the repair shop, I contemplated on getting a new one. But I felt sad to let go of the iMac. Alas, everything is temporary, even machines.

I've lost several friends this year alone. Most of them had passed away due to illnesses (non COVID-19 related). Some of my friends are still battling illnesses such as stroke, cancer, motor neuron disease and multiple sclerosis. Their pain makes my degenerative disc disease seem so minute. I lament on how I am unable to go running or carry backpacks on future treks. O how small my sufferings are compared to theirs! Humans are always ungrateful. We do not realise the blessings in our life until we experience pain and loss. My illness also makes it painful for me to sit after prostrating (in prayers). I can't sit long without getting up and feeling pain on my leg. Hais... Such things which I had taken for granted. Then again, I should be grateful with the blessings that God has given me. Would I rather swop my situation with my friends facing worse health challenges or with those living in war torn countries or those facing hunger and homelessness?

I kept thinking of death a lot nowadays. I even reminded my father of how blessed he is, living to the ripe age of 88 years old and having his daughter care for him. But of course, his ego does not allow him to agree with me. Sigh. I wonder, what if I am called home soon? Am I ready to face God? Have I done enough actions of good? Have I used my knowledge/wealth/health to benefit others? Have I earned enough rewards to enter jannah (paradise)?

"By (the Token of) Time, Verily Man is in loss." (Quran 103:1-3)

Time. It is one of the greatest gifts God has given us, yet we often neglect it. 

I remember walking through the quiet streets of Cambridge at night. It was calm and there was a certain sadness with the night. It was as if time stood still. Not even a whisper of the wind. The starlit sky was gorgeous, a reminder of God's greatness. The silhouettes of the colleges breathtaking, another reminder of God's gift (to us) of knowledge and the ability to think. I particularly loved this photograph of bicycles left on the pavement taken by my Newnham sister Zara. During times of reflection (like now), I wonder, will I be there in the morning to pick up my bicycle or will my bicycle be left abandoned as I would not be returning to this transient world...

*Photo credit: Nurjuanis Zara

Comments

Popular Posts